banner2a
facebook-icon

Nevada County Narrow Gauge Railroad

The Nevada County Narrow Gauge Railroad began operations 1876 to provide reliable year-round transportation to Nevada County Narrow Gauge Railroad Museum Logothe rich mining districts of western Nevada County, California. The original twenty-two and a half mile route began in Nevada City, traveled to the railroad's headquarters in Grass Valley, and then on to Colfax for connections to the Central Pacific.

During sixty-six years of colorful operation, it hauled out more than two hundred million dollars ($200,000,000) worth of gold while bringing in mining machinery, lumber, petroleum products and all of the essentials necessary to maintain the thriving county. Thousands rode its first class passenger trains, mixed trains, and the occasional special excursions.

Affectionately known as the "Never Come, Never Go", the railroad's reliable service, combined with the prosperity of the mines, helped Nevada County avoid hard times during the Great Depression of the 1930's.

The narrow gauge route boasted the highest railroad bridge in California for its time (the 1908 Bear River Bridge), and was the first railroad in the U.S. to have a woman president (Sarah Kidder, 1901-1913).

The outbreak of World War II led to the closure of the gold mines and, with its major customers gone, the railroad was scrapped in 1942.

Nevada County Narrow Gauge Railroad Historic Photos
footer2a

This website is Copyright ©2013 Nevada County Narrow Gauge Railroad Museum. All Rights reserved.
Web development and design by Emerald Forest Design.