banner2a
facebook-icon

Museum Rolling Stock Roster

4

Passenger Coach 56 - Florence & Cripple Creek Railroad
Length: 40', 42 seats.

  • 1897 - Built by St. Charles Car Co., St. Charles, MO, as 1st class coach
    for Florence & Cripple Creek Railroad, No. 56.
  • 1915 - Sold to Nevada-California-Oregon Railway.
  • 1928 - Retired
  • 1929 - Used as a cafe in Aden, CA.
  • c 1970 - Used as party room for a miniature golf course at Chico, CA.
  • 1983 - Acquired by Nevada County Historical Society.
  • 2008 - Resided and painted.
  • Present - NCNGRR Museum, Nevada City, CA
7

Boxcar 507 - Florence & Cripple Creek Railroad
Length: 30'
Capy: 50,000 lbs.

  • 1889 - Built by American Car & Foundry as Florence & Cripple Creek
    Railroad, No. 507.
  • 1914 - Sold to Nevada-California-Oregon as 507.
  • 1923 - Leased to Southern Pacific renumbered 26.
  • 1928 - Sold to Southern Pacific
  • 1955 - Sold to Universal Studios
  • 1986 - To Nevada County Historical Society.
  • 1996-2000 - Rebuilt and renumbered NCNGRR 142.
  • Present - NCNGRR Museum, Nevada City, CA

Note: In 1928, NCNGRR purchased eleven cars (identical to 142) from NCO and renumbered them 100, 122-140.

9

Caboose 1 – Nevada County Narrow Gauge Railroad

  • 1937 – Original caboose built in company shop by John Nolan,
    NCNGRR Master Mechanic
  • 1942 – Scrapped after closure of the NCNGRR
  • 1986 – Replica built by John Christensen from original photographs,
    and drawings by Hermann Darr. Darr
    acquired the dimensions from John Nolan. Trucks and couplers came
    from West Side Lumber Company’s Block
    Car “A”.
  • 2001 – Donated to NCNGRR Museum
  • 2006 – Roof and cupola rebuilt, interior finished
  • Present – NCNGRR Museum, Nevada City, CA
10

Tank 187 - Nevada County Narrow Gauge Railroad
Length 26 feet, 4 inches
Capy 5,570 gallons.

  • 1888 - Tank built by Central Iron Works, Harrisburg, PA
  • 1906-1934 - Tank owned by Union Oil Co. and operated on Pacific
    Coast Railway flat No. 915
  • 1934 - Tank acquired by Nevada County Narrow Gauge Railroad and
    mounted on flat car 187
  • 1993-95, - Tank mounted on new flat car
  • 2012 - Tank dismounted. Flat scheduled for rebuild to original 1902
    American Car & Foundry specifications for Flat 187.
11

Flat 255 - Southern Pacific Co.
Length: 30'
Capy: 40,000 lbs, Lt. Weight: 13, 500 lbs.

  • 1917 - Built by Southern Pacific, No.472
  • c.1920 - Converted to gondola
  • 1946 - Renumbered SP 255
  • c.1955 - Sold to Universal Studios
  • 1986 - Acquired by Nevada County Historical Society
  • 2002 - Moved to NCNGRR Museum, Nevada City, CA
  • 2010/11 - Total restoration completed
13

Caboose 4 – West Side Lumber Co.
 

  • 1940 – Built West Side Lumber Co.
  • 1986 – Sold to Glen Tyra, Tuolumne, CA
  • 1994 – Sold to Bev Cola, Placerville, CA
  • 2011 – Sold to John Christensen
  • Present – NCNGRR Museum, Nevada City, CA
12

Boxcar 130 - Southern Pacific Co.
Length: 28 feet, 2 inches
Capy: 40,000 lbs, Lt. Weight: 18,300 lbs.

  • 1903 - Built by J. Hammond & Co., San Francisco for the
    Tonopah Railroad
  • 1904 - Sold to Lake Tahoe Railway & Transportation Co.
    Renumbered 4
  • 1926 - Sold to Southern Pacific Co. Renumbered 130
  • 1960 - Sold to private party as storage shed
  • 2012 - Acquired by NCNGRR Museum. Undergoing restoration.
14

Tank 2 - West Side Lumber Co.
 

  • Circa 1930's - Built by Westside Lumber Company
  • 1986 - Sold to Glen Tyra
  • 1994 - Sold to Beverly Cola
  • 2012 - Sold to John Christensen
  • 2013 - NCNGRR Museum, Nevada City, CA
15

Gondola 10 - West Side Lumber Co.

  • Circ. 1930 - Built by West Side Lumber Co. as tank car 10
  • 1957 - Tank scrapped. Converted to sand car 10
  • Circ. 1977 - Converted to open excursion car by Westside & Cherry
    Valley Railway
  • 1986 - Sold to Matt Griebe, Carmichael, CA
  • 1988 - Sold to NCNGRR Museum
  • 2004 - Dismantled
  • 2010 - Rebuilt to original configuration
16

Flat 265 - West Side Lumber Co.

  • Circ. 1940 - Built by WSLC
  • 1986 - WS&CVRy sold to Nevada County Historical Society and moved
    to Pinewoods location on NCNGRR right
    of way.
  • 2003 - Moved to NCNGRR Museum
  • 2009 - Rebuilt to original WSLC specifications
  • Present - NCNGRR Museum, Nevada City, CA
18

Parts/Supply Car - West Side lumber Co.
Length: 24 ft.

  • c.1940 - Built as a supply car for the West Side Lumber Company
  • c.1976 - Windows added. Converted to an architect's office by Westside
     and Cherry Valley Railway
  • 1987 - Acquired by Nevada County Historical Society
  • 2001 - NCNGRR Museum, Nevada City, CA
  • 2013 - Undergoing restoration to its original configuration as a WSLC
    parts car
17

Sand Car 276 - West Side Lumber Co.

  • 1931 - Built by WSLC1950 - Converted to sand car (half-gondola)
  • 1986 - Sold to Glenn Tyra, Tuolomne, CA
  • 1994 - Sold to Bev Cola, Placerville, CA
  • 2011 - Sold to John Christensen, donated to NCNGRR Museum
  • Present - Disassembled pending rebuild.
19

Block Car "B" - West Side Lumber Co.

  • Circ. 1910-20 - Built by WSLC as logging flat 79
  • Circ. 1930 - Rebuilt as a 5 door block (slab) car
  • 1986 - Sold to John Christensen, dismantled
  • 1987 - Parts sold to NCNGRR Museum
  • 2015 - Planned rebuild
20

Excursion Car - Westside & Cherry Valley Railway
Length: 24'

  • 1920's - Built as flat car 253 for the West Side Lumber Company.
  • 1980's - Rebuilt as excursion car for the Westside & Cherry Valley
    Railway.
  • 1987 - Acquired by Nevada County Historical Society.
  • 2001 - NCNGRR Museum, Nevada City, CA
  • 2009 - Dismantled and stored pending restoration.
  • 2014 - Scheduled for rebuild as WSLC log flat 253 with steel bunks.
21

Hopper 85301 - Great Northern Railway

  • 1900's - Built to standard gauge by Pressed Steel Car Co. for the
    Great Northern Railway, No. 85301.
    Renumbered 74225
  • 1923 - Sold to Sierra Railroad, No.146
  • c.1976 - Sold to Westside & Cherry Valley Railway and converted to
    36" gauge for MOW use.
  • 1986 - Acquired by Nevada County Historical Society
  • Present - NCNGRR Museum, Nevada City, CA
22

Caboose 1 - Swayne Lumber Co.

  • 1917 - Built by Swayne Lumber Co., Oroville, CA
  • 1940 - Sold to West Side Lumber Co.
  • 1945 - Rebuilt by WSLC
  • 1960 - Rebuilt with standard WSLC cupola.
  • 1985 - Sold to Matt Griebe,
  • 1986 - Sold to Dave Braun
  • 2012 - Sold to John Christensen, donated to NCNGRR Museum
  • 2013 - Under restoration to original Swayne design.
23

Lumber Disconnect Car - Michigan California Lumber Co.
(Also called Disconnected Lumber Service Truck, Lumber Bobbie,
Disconnect Truck, Transfer Truck)
 

  • Built - Unknown
  • Circ. 1918 - Michigan California Lumber Company
  • Circ. 1940 - Universal Studios, Hollywood. Six of these cars were used
    as trucks for three studio-built "ore cars"
    in the 1943 film, "The Spoilers"
  • 1986 - Acquired by Nevada County Historical Society
  • 2009 - Rebuilt
  • Present - NCNGRR Museum, Nevada City, CA
footer2a

This website is Copyright ©2013 Nevada County Narrow Gauge Railroad Museum. All Rights reserved.
Web development and design by Emerald Forest Design.